Thursday, September 4, 2014

Concert drawings

I started drawing at concerts when I went to Godwaffle last month.  Godwaffle are weekend noise concerts held around noon. (see Godwaffle Noise Pancakes for more: https://www.facebook.com/godd.waffealle).  I drew during three performances that day.

I found that I was able to understand the music in new ways, maybe more completely, maybe the drawing focused my attention.  The Godwaffle performances at Noisebridge were in daylight and I could see both the performers and my paper.  I could also see the audience around me and the surroundings.  It made it easy to draw.

When I mentioned drawing at the event and wanting to draw at all the concerts I go to, someone said light might be an issue.  At most concerts the audience sits in the dark and their attention is artfully focused on the performer using lighting.

I drew at the Soundwave concerts (http://www.soundwavesf.com/6/) and found that drawing again focused my attention on the music in new ways.  Because the Soundwave concerts are held at night, I was drawing in the dark, unable to really see the paper.  That did have an affect, making the drawings slightly more abstract, but not less interesting.

When I spoke about the drawings to Alan So, Artistic Director of Soundwave, he asked a lot of questions that all boiled down to "How do you do these drawings? What is it you are drawing?" Answer: drawing what the music seems to be when I am listening. When you take a look at the drawings below, you will see that they have space and shape and sometimes include the performer or some visual portion of the performance. But it's mostly my experience of the music. Being quiet and listening.

This project is ongoing and I love it!

Godwaffle Noise Pancakes at Noisebridge  (Aug. 9, 2014)

Steve Flato: making sounds with the shape of the body


monochromancy: staving off the darkness


dried up corpse: chris cross


Soundwave at SOMARTS Cultural Center (Aug. 22 and 23, 2014)

Matt Baldwin (guitar and water visuals)
Matt Baldwin


Joshua Churchill (electronics, subsonic sounds, video)


Marielle V. Jakobsons: "Macro Cymatic Studies"


Edward Shocker and Dohee Lee:  "Suijin"

Soundwave at deYoung Friday Nights (Sept. 5, 2014)
Modernist Movements

Luciano Chessa with Andy Meyerson: "Water Memory"
Water Memory was an amazing, complex and sophisitcated composition.  It challenged me and took me on a journey in a magical way, in a way where I did not know where I was going, but I was so happy to go along.