Monday, July 6, 2015

Concert Drawings Inform 50/50 Project

 Dispersing Birds

Having to come up with fifty different ideas made me take a look at lots of sketches and ideas I've had in recent years.  Some of those were inspired by the Bay Area New Music scene and drawings I did at local concerts of mainly abstract music and sound performances.

The theme of my exhibit for 50/50 is "Scenes and Dreams around the San Francisco Bay Area," so work inspired by local performers is perfect for this collection of sculptures.   The assignment is to make one artwork a day, sized 6" x 6", for fifty days.  (I am 28 days in.)

Boxes inspired by these performances that I have completed so far:

"Dispersing Birds": From the Sunday, February 15, 2015, performance at Mare Island by Voicehandler. (box photo above)
Concert Drawing: February 15, 2015, Voicehandler

"Flutist": From an exhibition and recorded performance of a resident artist at Headlands Center for the Arts.  I wish I had made a note of who the performer was, but I didn't.
Flutist

Not in the abstract or even necessarily local vein: "Concert" was inspired by a visit to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in Golden Gate Park a couple of blocks from my house.
Concert

Boxes I'm working on:

"Coastal Dream": From the  Sunday, February 15, 2015, performance at Mare Island by Gretchen Jude.
 Concert Drawing: February 15, 2015, Gretchen Jude

"Performance": From a performance at the Art Institute Graduate exhibit at The Old Mint a couple of years ago. I did not make a note of the performer's name.

"Secret Duck Receiver": From an October 2014 performance by San Francisco Composers Chamber Orchestra, one of Mark Alburger's UFO compositions.

Concert Drawing: October 4, 2014, Mark Alburger

I post frequent progress photos (there are lots more boxes on the way) at:
instagram (@jzjade) and facebook.

Here is information on the dates and location of this exhibit:

Opening Night: August 28, 6-10 pm
Sanchez Art Center
1220 Linda Mar Blvd.
Pacifica, CA

P.S.:
I was really inspired by the dreamy performances at ATA Saturday night "Nearfields" with film and sound by:
John Davis / Paul Clipson
Keith Evans
Jim Haynes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: