Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Peep at the Boxes

I am still making the tiny (6" x 6") boxes, working toward 50 of them by the deadline for the Sanchez Art Center 50/50 art show that opens at the end of August.

I have to find a pleasing way to arrange them in seven rows of seven boxes, a fiftieth off to one side.  So, I put thumbnails in a grid to take an overall look at the project.

What I initially felt when I saw this grid was startling.  It felt embarrassingly like a peep show.  I have never actually seen a peep show, but I assume it is an arrangement where you peep in and see something uncomfortably intimate.  The grid of boxes felt that way: like I was peeking at candid scenes of everyday people, people who did not know I was watching.

I actually intended to make scenes of regular people around the San Francisco Bay Area and in this the boxes seem to succeed.  I just did not realize how slightly naughty it might feel to, say check out tourists on the bridge or kids on a rooftop. That was a surprise.

Here are some I haven't posted here in their peepshow grid:
Information on the show:

Sanchez Art Center
August 28 to September 20
1220 Linda Mar Blvd.
Pacifica, CA

Opening Night:
August 28
VIP Preview 6-8 pm (tickets here: http://www.sanchezartcenter.org/50.50.html)
General 8-10 pm

Follow progress on Facebook and Instagram (@jzjade).

See ya!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: