Saturday, December 12, 2009

Painting on my IPhone



I have been meaning to talk about painting on my IPhone for awhile. Of course, IPhone has painting apps. The one I use is called Brushes.

This means I can paint on the train on the way to work, while I am waiting for friends, anywhere.

Brushes has what seems like infinite color choices (I call it "free color"), transparancies and UNDOs. Having as many Undos as you want is fantastic. The new version of Brushes also has layers, but I just got it and haven't really used them.

Brushes also allows you to export a couple of interesting formats: "high resolution" (I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know what this is like, and a video of all the steps you took to make the painting.

Theoretically, you could look at Brushes as a way to explore ideas or sketch while out and about. But really, the images are very influenced by the medium.

You "paint" with your finger, which is wierd, but primal, and the surface is very, very small, which seems odd.

But I try lots of different kinds of ideas out, because there's no overhead of materials and space.